Some of you might find the following very boring…This is more for my benefit than anyone else's. I want to keep track of my progress. Of course Atta Girls' & encouraging words are always welcome.
I went to the doctor on Aug 28th for a "meet n'greet" and to get some refills on my migraine medication. Stepped on the scale, I had never weighed this much with out being pregnant. In turn I've never felt so crappy and run down without being pregnant. After the initial shock and horror, I quickly embraced what I had been trying to tell myself for months, "If I loose this weight I'm sure I'll start feeling better all around" Because while I'm not as big as some, I'm definitely too big for me.
Besides, I've done it before and I've looked and felt great. I know it's possible I just have to make it a priority. To do any kind of a diet that I really wanted, I'd have to wait until we had the funds to do the major shopping. That wasn't the case at that point.
So knowing that it is all about eating right and exercise I started to take baby steps. I had been walking on my breaks…which were an effort, and it took me a long time to recover afterwards, I was dizzy for at least an hour after each walk. Not fun.
I started watching what I was eating, cutting certain things out and making better choices. But things were still really difficult for a week or so, like I was dragging myself thru a sea of quick sand.
Then I was doing some research and stumbled across some message boards where people have reported the side effects of the same preventative migraine medicine that I take. Oh Snap! Weight gain, irritability, lack of sleep….and so on. That answered alot! I started thinking about how sporadically I have migraines and the fact that I still have to keep pain killers and sedatives close by, because I still get them even while taking this pill 4 times a day, but just not quite as much pain. So I stopped taking that immediately. The benefits did not out way the side effects at all.
That same day I found a bunch of testimonials about the effects of B-50 complex. It sounded like a wonder vitamin! I stopped the Migraine medicine on Thursday afternoon and started the B-50 Saturday (9/23) morning. I felt like a new woman. I had so much energy. It was amazing. Then of course by mid week I was sick. (because I always seem to get sick when I'm getting on the right track) 2 weeks of "bronchitis". That's what the doctor called it. I don't necessarily think that's what it was. In fact I felt worse once she put me on antibiotics. But due to this B-50 I was able to keep working the whole time…only taking one day off. Maybe that was a bad thing. If I wouldn't have had the extra energy I might have just laid low and gotten over it faster.
When I had recovered and was up and going again… I was feeling good, walking daily, cleaning like a mad woman, and attempting to eat right.
I started thinking about my own (and other peoples) experiences with diet & weight loss….and all the crazy fad diets out there. I really didn't want to "diet". I've done so well in the past with just the mind state of "making good choices". I finally realized that I needed a kick start and a real plan to loose the extra baggage.
So I decided on The South Beach Diet. It guarantees initial quick results and it teaches (or in my case reminds and reinforces) a healthy way to eat for life….the way I used to eat. Phase 1 is 2 weeks. You are supposed to loose 8-13lbs during that time. After you move on to Phase 2 where you stay until you reach your goal….loosing 1-2lbs per week. Then Phase 3 is the long term. I'm on day 7 of Phase 1. It is the easiest diet I've ever followed. I'm not starved. I do not feel deprived. The best part is that I can eat most of the foods that I love.
My results so far? Well, I didn't weigh myself before I started so I don't have a solid starting point. After that first disgusting weigh in on 8/28 I didn't get back on the scale until day 3 of the diet….I had lost 10 lbs in 7 weeks! And that was just "prep work", I was so happy and motivated. This morning I weighed myself again…I've lost 6 pounds in 4 days. AMAZING! I couldn't be happier.I want to get back to where I was before I got pregnant with Luc.
If I loose an additional 5-10lbs that would just be icing on the cake….not that I'd eat it though.
No comments:
Post a Comment