Around 6:00 this morning, I was
curled up on the couch writing. Lucas came
out from the bathroom and sat next to me. I could tell that he had something on his mind.
Lucas: Do you want me to tell you a story?
Me: Of course, I love stories!
Lucas: There once was this boy named Eric. He was eating lunch and heard himself chew. He thought, “Is my tongue attached to my ears?” Then some bullies gave him a wet willy and a tongue grew out of each ear. Then he had to live his life as some guy with ear tongues.
A few hours later, I was thinking about ear tongues and Eric. Eric felt familiar.
Me: Do you have any more stories about Eric?
Lucas: Yeah, maybe. I’ll have to check my dictionary.
Me: You have a dictionary?
Lucas: Yeah, it’s a story dictionary. I jump into it and ask Eric if he has any stories to share. Then I jump back—“
Me: Wait! ERIC?! Is this the same Eric that you introduced me to the other day?
Lucas (with a pleased smile): Yes, Mom. He isn’t imaginary.
Over this last weekend, I walked into the family room and Lucas happily shouted, “Mama! Hug!” he threw his arms around me for a big ol’ squeeze. It’s always nice to be greeted like that.
During the warmy warm hug, his attention turned towards the hallway.
Me: What are you looking at, Bud?
Lucas: That.
Me: What?
Lucas: Do you want me to tell you a story?
Me: Of course, I love stories!
Lucas: There once was this boy named Eric. He was eating lunch and heard himself chew. He thought, “Is my tongue attached to my ears?” Then some bullies gave him a wet willy and a tongue grew out of each ear. Then he had to live his life as some guy with ear tongues.
A few hours later, I was thinking about ear tongues and Eric. Eric felt familiar.
Me: Do you have any more stories about Eric?
Lucas: Yeah, maybe. I’ll have to check my dictionary.
Me: You have a dictionary?
Lucas: Yeah, it’s a story dictionary. I jump into it and ask Eric if he has any stories to share. Then I jump back—“
Me: Wait! ERIC?! Is this the same Eric that you introduced me to the other day?
Lucas (with a pleased smile): Yes, Mom. He isn’t imaginary.
Over this last weekend, I walked into the family room and Lucas happily shouted, “Mama! Hug!” he threw his arms around me for a big ol’ squeeze. It’s always nice to be greeted like that.
During the warmy warm hug, his attention turned towards the hallway.
Me: What are you looking at, Bud?
Lucas: That.
Me: What?
Lucas: That.
Me: What?! The couch? The door? The paintings?
Lucas: No. That guy.
Me: What guy?
Lucas: That guy over there. Eric.
Me: Oh? Is he a ghost? (Always a concern of mine with Lucas)
Me: What?! The couch? The door? The paintings?
Lucas: No. That guy.
Me: What guy?
Lucas: That guy over there. Eric.
Me: Oh? Is he a ghost? (Always a concern of mine with Lucas)
Lucas: No, he is my imaginary friend. (He cracked a
little smile and I could tell that he was putting me on)
Me: Oh, I see. Alright then, tell him to pick up after himself if he plans on staying awhile.
But today he was very serious and he felt the need to take Eric’s imaginary status away.
I really do like the Ear Tongue story. I’d like to hear more. Would I be encouraging something that I’ll eventually want to get rid of? Is 7 ¾ years old too old for an imaginary friend to develop? Or is this some sort of intentional creative front?
Me: Oh, I see. Alright then, tell him to pick up after himself if he plans on staying awhile.
But today he was very serious and he felt the need to take Eric’s imaginary status away.
I really do like the Ear Tongue story. I’d like to hear more. Would I be encouraging something that I’ll eventually want to get rid of? Is 7 ¾ years old too old for an imaginary friend to develop? Or is this some sort of intentional creative front?
No comments:
Post a Comment